« Fix for Filesystem 'devtmpfs' used by 'none' is not recognised as a valid filesystemP3P fix for Internet Explorer to access cross domain cookie in iframe »

Solution for no vibration on iPhone 3GS

Technical, iPhone, 132 words   English (AU) Bookmark and Share

Argh, seems like iPhone 3GS has issues with is vibrator. For some mysterious reason, my iPhone stopped vibrating, Although some people blamed the missing vibration problem on firmware issues, however already I had the most recent firmware on.

Then I stumbled upon this tip which pretty much says to turn on vibrate and hit the phone from the back with your palm. It actually started to vibrate after a couple of tabs to my surprise 88|.

Anyway, if you find that the vibrate keeps going off again, simply download one of those free vibration apps. For me I used iBrate, and kept running it (hitting it when it stops) until the vibration became constant. I did a few cycles of that (ie starting and stopping the vibration) and it was fine after that!

Trackback address for this post

This is a captcha-picture. It is used to prevent mass-access by robots.
Please enter the characters from the image above. (case insensitive)

24 comments

Comment from: Copplepot [Visitor] Email
CopplepotVery helpful tip. Hopefully will work.
01/08/10 @ 20:07
Comment from: P. Henry [Visitor] Email
P. HenryIbrate and a few hard taps did it for me. Thanks!!
10/12/10 @ 09:07
Comment from: aba [Visitor] Email
abaIt worked!!! Thanks so much for the tip. However if the same problem recurs in future, its better to get a replacement if its within warranty.
23/12/10 @ 22:12
Comment from: Dinold [Visitor] Email
DinoldWow...this actually works !! I just tried it and it fixed my vibration problem. Total recommend it and thank you for posting this. This saved alot of money!
16/01/11 @ 13:21
Comment from: King [Visitor] Email
KingThanks this worked for me perfect first time!
24/01/11 @ 16:14
Comment from: Alicia [Visitor]
AliciaI tried everything to get my phone to vibrate again and this is the only thing that actually worked! I was ready to give up and take it in for repair. Thanks so much! =]
02/08/11 @ 20:05
Comment from: BEN [Visitor] Email
BENYOUR A BLOODY LIFE SAVER!!
now i dont have to send my phone away for 3 weeks to get repaired!

thank you!!
20/09/11 @ 05:47
Comment from: Ben Atkinson [Visitor]
Ben AtkinsonAfter days of frustration with my iPhone 3GS vibration,I discovered that a small bit of paper was stuck just were you put in the charger connection. After removing this it worked fine.
05/10/11 @ 18:24
Comment from: thelastknight247 [Visitor]
thelastknight247had to hit the phone from the back with my palm a few times more then others but it worked thanks.
17/10/11 @ 16:08
Comment from: victorjr [Visitor]
victorjri cannot believe i am leaving this message, huge kudos to you.

I never thought mine would work.

It did not work after a few slaps and drops, but then i installed iBrate and turned it on and after about a food 20 slaps it came alive.

I must send you a donation -:)

God bless you mate.
28/10/11 @ 20:45
Comment from: Adama [Visitor]
AdamaWow thank you so much!
I have an iPhone 3G, and it fell today and after that my vibration stopped working :( I already start thinking about buying the new 4S but this app saved me alot of money and worries!!!
My vibrations work again!

05/11/11 @ 01:18
Comment from: MV [Visitor]
MVHahaha, holy shit man, after taking my iphone to two different places and both of them telling me its unfixable and not charging me, i did the good old slap the shit out of it and sure enough it worked. THANKS!!!!
21/11/11 @ 01:28
Comment from: Jasdeep Singh [Visitor]
Jasdeep SinghSeriously man..!!
I have iPhone 3G
It worked for me too..!!

Ur great...thanx for writing this up
otherwise i wud hv sent it for repair rather than evn trying to hit it on the back
13/12/11 @ 12:54
Comment from: toni [Visitor]
toni......myyyyy god! it works!!!
03/01/12 @ 19:56
Comment from: J-man [Visitor]
J-manWorked like a charm!!!! Thnx man!
03/01/12 @ 20:53
Comment from: Eldanis [Visitor]
EldanisThank you thank you thank you!!
18/02/12 @ 07:00
Comment from: Shayan [Visitor]
ShayanUr a genious man :) just one slap on the back of my iphone n it workd :D thanks so Much dude
22/02/12 @ 11:43
Comment from: Hasnain [Visitor] Email
HasnainGuys i m trying many times but my problem not solved many slaps back on iphone but not working please help mee
05/05/12 @ 22:44
Comment from: blerina [Visitor] Email
blerinaYou rock...thanks a lot..just three palm hits and it works :)
16/06/12 @ 10:16
Comment from: Life saver [Visitor]
Life saverYou just saved my phone!!!!!!!!!!!
17/06/12 @ 05:44
Comment from: T B [Visitor] Email
T BAbsolute LEGEND.
Bought iphone from Ebay.Got a call and no vibrate
was gutted.
about to complain and read this, AMAZING.
**My ring tones are not very loud.**
Any tips ,, Cheers
01/09/12 @ 13:53
Comment from: Anneke [Visitor]
AnnekeIt didn't work at first but as I read in another article about the back slap prior to reading this one, it told me to run ibate and put my ear to the back of the phone and listen for a sound - This is the location you need to slap your phone.

If your vibrating motor is still working you will hear a small ticking sound. I heard it in the lower section (I think it's the same for everyone). The back slap didn't work for me, tried it through 20 or so times before I decided to give a big slap to the BOTTOM where the speakers and screws are located. Once I did so, it worked!
07/11/12 @ 13:44
Comment from: Paulo [Visitor]
PauloJust whacked me iPhone like you guys said bloody ripper of a tip vibrates workin again cheers big ears :)
20/02/13 @ 04:58
Comment from: Prien Jobalia [Visitor] Email
Prien JobaliaHi There. This post was great to start with. I am feeling happy that I fixed it myself...The Istore guys just asked me to replace my phone for a new one. This is the most ridiculous thing that just for a fix that an amateur like me can do in 20 mins, they asked me to replace it.

Neways, my phone had stopped vibrating after it had a great fall like HUMPTY DUMPTY from a wall and it hit the speaker side to ground. This is where the fix lies.

I read the posts above and read about a ticking sound which said my vibration motor was still alive and I had the guts to go ahead and open my iphone.

So if the tapping technique above does not work,please do the following. The tap technique above is a trial and error technique of what I did. So, if you have the ticking sound and you can open your iphone which is quite tricky too, I guarantee a 100% work vibration.

So, what happened was when my phone fell with speaker side hitting the ground, the vibration motor is vertically situated and so it got displaced from its position and so it was not able to vibrate anymore as the motor wings had no space to rotate. I just pushed my motor backwards a bit and thats it...you are going to have the best feeling the world of saving about 12K INR(I am from India).

So, all the best. You can contact me on my e-mail if you still have problems. I dont know if I can surely help you, but I can try.

Tc Guys....