« Skipping Setup Wizard on first boot of LineageOS or any Android ROMDownload installers for eTax 2012 and 2013 »

Solution for "This item isn't available in your country" aka Changing country in Google Play Store

Technical, Android, 276 words   Bookmark and Share

So I’m currently back in Australia after spending some time in US and my Google account was updated to use the US Play store.

I wanted to install an app for local bus timetable details and its only locked to Australia. This is stupid from the app distributor…>:XX

So when i tried to download it i get “This item isn’t available in your country". Which means I needed to change my country setting Google Play Store but it was not as trivial as I had hoped.

In the past, the play store was based on your IP’s geo location and you could switch marketplaces via connecting through a VPN. Unfortunately, this no longer works.

You used to also be able to use root required apps like Marketplace Enabled and Market Access but after trying the lot they all no longer work.

Google was not entirely helpful as search results were polluted with old solutions that no longer work. I ended up contacting Google support and they gave me this hackfix that worked.

1. Sign into Google Wallet to manage your payment methods at
  2. Add a new card or change your default payment instrument to one with a billing address located inside your desired country.
  3. Open the Google Play website and navigate to any paid item available for download at
  4. Click to begin a download until you reach the ‘Accept and buy’ screen (no need to complete the purchase).
  5. Close Google Play and clear your browser cache if you’re on a desktop or laptop computer.
  6. Wait 30 minutes.
  7. Re-open the Google Play. You should now see the Play Store that matches your default payment instrument’s billing country.

7 comments

Comment from: Saurabh Suman [Visitor]
Saurabh Suman

And it works. Thank you for sharing this piece. Thank you Google for the weirdest issues.

29/10/15 @ 07:45
Comment from: Mike [Visitor]
Mike

worked like a charm but there’s a few other places you need to change it. But in general this procedure works! thanks!

10/12/15 @ 11:43
Comment from: mike [Visitor]
mike

This works! there’s a few other places it needs to be changed but in general this procedure works great.. thanks!

10/12/15 @ 11:44
Comment from: Plamen [Visitor]
Plamen

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you and Thank you !!!!!!
Thank you very much man. You are number one.
I spend three days looking for explanation (not solution), why for chryst sake is this happening, and finaly you gave me the explanation.

31/12/15 @ 08:47
Comment from: mukesh [Visitor]
mukesh

Thanks, perfect solution for paid apps.

03/07/16 @ 10:46
Comment from: Giridhar [Visitor]
Giridhar

Thank you very much for sharing the fix. It worked like a charm. I had purchased a phone in UAE & couldn’t install apps in India. I am very grateful.

12/02/17 @ 11:55
Comment from: Giridhar [Visitor]
Giridhar

Thank you very much for sharing this fix. I was struggling to find a solution since a month. The fix worked like a charm!

12/02/17 @ 15:33

This post has 1 feedback awaiting moderation...