« Insulting source codeHOWTO take apart and repair an old NES »

Exception "Component is not available" nsresult: "0x80040111 (NS_ERROR_NOT_AVAILABLE)" location: "JS frame :: file:///usr/lib/firefox/components/nsSessionStore.js :: sss_saveState

Technical, Javascript, 200 words   Bookmark and Share

Have you ever encountered this error in Firebug while using FF (Firefox)?

Code

[Exception... "Component is not available" nsresult: "0x80040111 (NS_ERROR_NOT_AVAILABLE)"  location: "JS frame :: file:///usr/lib/firefox/components/nsSessionStore.js :: sss_saveState :: line 1753"  data: no] file:///usr/lib/firefox/components/nsSessionStore.js Line 1753

According to a post on Mozillazine , this started appearing since Firefox 2.0.0.8.

Now, there are many possible causes (and fixes) for this problem, but I have found that if you encounter this error and if it comes from firefox/components/nsSessionStore.js. This means that your session store has been corrupted.

What does session store do? Well, when your browser crashes (or force quit), and you fire it up again, session store will loaded the last saved opened URLs, tabs and http sessions (basically the whole state of the browser it last saved) that were present before FF went belly up. Think Word’s autorecovery. Great feature and FF 3 allows you to save the session when quiting FF, which cant be done with FF 2.x at the moment.

The Fix?

Well I have found that clearing the FF sessions fixes the problem. This means that you simply close FF. I also noticed another symptom with this problem is that it occurs, force quitting Firefox and starting FF again will bring up an older saved state.

10 comments

Comment from: Patrick [Visitor]
Patrick

I’ve tried your suggestion, and as soon as I restart FF the error comes right back.

Patrick

10/07/08 @ 19:15
Comment from: Steffen Heinrich [Visitor]
Steffen Heinrich

Managed to get rid of these by
1. setting
“Tools → Options → Main → Startup → When Firefox starts”

to “Show my windows and tabs from last time”

2. changing my behaviour to close FF from the file menu
before exiting Windows.

This appearantly leads to a clean save/resume process instead of recovery from an emergency state.
Whether or not both points are mandatory I dont’t know.

13/08/08 @ 10:55
Comment from: [Member]
brinley

What you are essentially doing is disabling the auto saving of tabs via sessionStore which fixes the error, but I find it useful (for myself at least) to have the option of recovering tabs if the browser crashes without warning and takes down a dozen tabs from my last google search. Yes, I can probably retrieve the links from history but having the tabs show up by themselves is just much easier

13/08/08 @ 13:12
Comment from: [Member]
brinley

Patrick, perhaps check that your default startup page isnt the one causing nsSessionStore to crap up.

13/08/08 @ 13:14
Comment from: Carey Underwood [Visitor]
Carey Underwood

Modify nsSessionStore.js, around line 1896, changing it from:
this._writeFile(this._sessionFile, oState.toSource());

to:
this._writeFile(this._sessionFile, “(” + this._toJSONString(oState) + “)");

19/10/08 @ 15:27
Comment from: Wanabo [Visitor]
Wanabo

Just empty the cache of FF. Press CTRL+Shift+Delete. Select all except saved passwords.

Problem fixed. ;)

02/11/08 @ 18:30
Comment from: Data Shaman [Visitor]
Data Shaman

Comment #5 solved the issue for me, thanks!

26/01/09 @ 14:59
Comment from: Soup [Visitor]
Soup

well a huge thanks to Carey Underwood !

that actually seems to work :-)

been searching about year for this !
One can only hope that the Mozilla people actually bring it into Firefox at some point

05/03/09 @ 14:05
Comment from: Juan Garcia [Visitor]
06/05/09 @ 14:39
Comment from: jeremy [Visitor]
jeremy

Thanks for this! I was tearing my hair out trying to understand what was wrong with my JS and it turns out all I had to do was restart FF.

14/05/09 @ 18:11